Met 2 - tackled knifeman

Met Police PC Gary Coburn, Ian Cornell and Jesjit Josson

PC Gary Coburn, Ian Cornell and Jesjit Josson

Four police officers who tackled a knifeman at Leytonstone Underground station have been nominated for a national Police Bravery Award.

PCs Gary Coburn, John Cooper, Ian Cornell and Jesjit Singh Josson played a key role in apprehending the man and prevented an already serious incident from escalating.

The incident happened on the evening on Saturday 5 December 2015, when police received a large number of calls to the station reporting that a man had been stabbed.

The four officers – three of them armed with Taser - were on the scene within five minutes of the first call and found the suspect in the ticket hall brandishing a kitchen knife – and a seriously injured member of the public.

PCs Josson and Cornell were first on the scene and instructed the offender to drop the knife, which he refused to do, lunging at PC Josson with the knife as if to try and slit his throat. PC Josson retreated but did not back down, continuing to issue clear verbal instructions

The suspect continued to move aggressively towards the officers, appearing to try and goad and intimidate them. It was clear that he posed a real and immediate risk to both the officers and the wider public.

But the officers stood their ground. PC Josson attempted to Taser the suspect but was unable to connect, but PC Coburn, who had joined them in the ticket hall, was able to connect with his Taser, and the suspect was incapacitated and dropped to the ground.

The suspect was still holding on to the knife, so PC Coburn used his Taser a second time, allowing PCs Josson and Cooper to move in, kick the knife away and detain the suspect in handcuffs.

During the process, a member of the public had rushed towards the grounded suspect in an apparent attempt to assist him, but PC Cornell’s swift act of professionalism kept her away and prevented her from being injured.

PCs Josson and Coburn accompanied the suspect to custody, while their two colleagues went to hospital with the victim, staying on duty for several hours and providing regular updates on his condition.

Nominating the quartet for the award, Metropolitan Police Federation Chair Ken Marsh said: “These officers displayed exceptional bravery, courage, resilience and professionalism to protect the public.

“Despite the nature of the incident, the immediate risk to themselves and actions they had taken, the officers remained calm, efficient and professional at all times following the incident, ensuring all necessary tasks, reports and actions were completed fully and expeditiously.

“It quickly became apparent that the incident had been captured on camera; the footage was circulated across the world on social media and drawn comment and coverage across international news sources.  The footage clearly shows the exceptional skills, courage and professionalism of the officers. 

“Their conduct epitomises exceptional bravery and their actions saved lives.  The officers' actions and conduct has bought great pride in the Metropolitan Police Service, both internally and externally.”

Main page - Bravery Awards